Sunday, July 23, 2006

Farewell

I've mentioned more than once what a word geek I am and it probably can't be overstated how big a part of my life both reading and writing have always been. I've kept a journal or diary of some sort since I was 8 and in addition I've scribbled countless stories and lame poems and long, babbling letters to friends for at least that long. Words are how I understand everything--I scribble (or type) about every problem or issue I've faced or I pore over words scribbled (or typed) by someone else and, almost always, sooner or later, something clicks and I figure things out or at least learn to live with not being able to figure it out.

Almost always--because I've found that the big, big things defy explanation, defy understanding no matter how much you poke at them with words. Words fail you just when you need them most.

On Wednesday, July 19, Mr. High School*, was killed in an accident on the job. This doesn't seem possible or logical or fair at all. There seems to be no way to wrap my brain--let alone my heart--around the idea that he's really gone. It feels huge to me and my heart goes out to his family--his parents and younger brother--and to his girlfriend, who had such a short time with him and to all the many others who will miss him as well.

*Speaking of words being inadequate, you can't imagine how stupid I feel calling him that right now but, here on the blog, that's who he was.

6 comments:

  1. I am so sorry. His family and friends are in my prayers. Words truly are inadequate for this but know that in blogworld we are thinking about you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought at first by the title that YOU were saying farewell to blogging!

    I'm so sorry about this loss. It is cliche but so true, you never know when your time will come and life is too short. I'm thinking of you...

    ReplyDelete
  3. This unbelievably fucked situation makes me want to rewrite that poem Footprints. You know, the one that ends, "During your times of trial and suffering, when you see only one set of footprints, it was then that I carried you." Except in my version, the dude comes to the conclusion that even The Lord makes mistakes. Upon second look at the single footprints in the sand he sees that while being carried during the low point in his life, The Lord, Himself, stepped in a big pile of dog shit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As Pappy used to always say
    "Only the good die young"
    Who would know this better than him.
    "Mr. Highschool" obviously left a lasting mark on all of those whose life he touched. He will be remembered well for years to come.
    His spirit and soul will live on IN THE HERE AND NOW, IN THE HEARTS, MINDS, AND LIVES OF THOSE WHO KNEW HIM.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just wanted to thank everyone for the thoughtful comments & e-mails. I'll be writing a real post soon...

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG, go away on vacation and I come back to this shocking news. I am so sorry MM, I cannot imagine the loss you are feeling. Your writings of Mr. HS were always so sweet and touching.

    Please know you are in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete