Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Thisclose To Speechless

The countdown is on.

Of course, in some ways the countdown has been on for nineteen years or so, but now we're really coming into the final days of The Countdown.

Son-One leaves for college on Friday.

This Friday.

It doesn't seem really possible to me since I just dropped him off for kindergarten a week or so ago. I know all those "my how time flies" sentiments are cliche, but I believe they're cliches for a reason...they're universal emotions--and they kick you in the gut, no matter how prepared you are, no matter how many people you know who've been kicked in the gut before you.

You can see it coming but you can't get out of the way.

6 comments:

  1. I have one more year and I know that will just fly by....

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh. i remember signing up for classes in CT a few years ago. i was a day student but i clearly remember 2 parents dropping their daughter. i will never forget the father's face as he hugged her, turned away, and started to cry so hard ...

    good luck. you've raised him well. we'll be here for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel your pain. We bring our daughter to college in Boston on the 1st. Your explanation of how it feels is right on the money. I'm so not looking forward to coming home, hearing the silence and walking into her almost empty bedroom.

    By the way, I have an almost 16 year old son and almost 19 year old daughter and just found your blog. I can SO relate to your kid stories. You are a very gifted writer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone for the kind words and welcome, Laurie--it's always nice to hear from someone in the teenager trenches especially someone with such nice things to say.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We got his stuff up to his room and he walked us back out to the car. When I said, "Are you sure you're all set?" he took two steps back (READ: Mom, for god's sake please don't hug me HERE!) and said, "Check!" We've heard from him a couple of times and he seems to be doing okay.

    So, as usual, these things are way harder on the mom than the kid. What the hell kind of deal did we sign on for?!?!

    ReplyDelete