Friday, March 09, 2012

Echo Chamber

I have often joked that the reason we become more forgetful as we get older is that our brains get full and bits of information start falling out. (Alas, under this theory, we have no control over what falls out and what stays in--hence we will forget that phone number we really meant to write down, but can remember with painful clarity that time we threw up in the high school hallway in ninth grade. But that's a lament for another day.)

If my theory is correct (and I have much anecdotal evidence in support of it), then it would stand to reason that when our brains are empty, the reverse would happen and things would rush in to fill that vacuum.

Based on the state of my brain at the moment, I can assure you that is not the case.

3 comments:

  1. Interesting theory, to be sure. I've studied the workings of the brain, and yet how it works in reality vs how it should work in theory, are two very different things. For each useless bit of child-related trivia, I swear I forget an important fact.

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s. hey, you got rid of word verification as well! HOW!?!?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The thought of having my brain act as a vacuum to suck up information scares me. It might explode. I would, however, like a brain vault to deposit my memories into to make room for information like where I left my keys.

    ReplyDelete