Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Is OSHA Aware Of This?

Most non-readers and even many purely recreational readers probably consider reading to be one of the safest and most sedate of activities. And perhaps, for the hobby reader, it is quite safe. Out here in the mean streets of word addiction, however, it is an activity fraught with occupational hazards.

Paper cuts are just the beginning. There are kinks in the neck from being too utterly absorbed in what you're reading to remember to move and stretch. There's eye strain. And there's the divided brain that happens when half of your mind is on the book waiting at your desk while the other half is struggling mightily to pay attention to what your boss is rambling on about.

Worst of all, though, is being unable to scratch that maddening mental itch of "I know I read it somewhere..." I read a ridiculous amount, as I've made clear on numerous occasions. And usually when I read something that strikes a chord, I scribble it down in one of my notebooks or at least make a note to do so before I return a book to the library or click to the next web page or whatever.

As meticulous as I am about taking notes, though, all too often something gets overlooked and then a week or two later, I will vaguely remember what it was, but be completely unable to find it. I have been struggling with this the past month or so. I read something, but I can no longer remember where and it's starting to get to me just a bit. I have browsed through every magazine, book and blog that was in my possession during that time period to no avail. So, I'm going to share it with you in hopes that maybe one of you read it, too. Shoot, for all I know, one of you wrote it.

Somewhere--in a magazine, in a book, on one of many fantastic blogs--sometime in the past month or so, I read something that went like this:

"If two things fall in a forest and neither one makes a sound, which one's the tree?"

Or like this:

"If two things fall in a forest and both of them make a sound, which one's the tree?"

I can't remember exactly which way it was put. I can't remember at all where I read it. And there's also the possibility that I dreamt it or randomly woke up with it in my head. I've tried Googling it, in every conceivable combination, with no luck. So, now, I am throwing myself upon the mercy of my bloggy little corner of the internet. Have you read it? Do you remember where?

21 comments:

  1. Just so you know when you google ""If two things fall in a forest and both of them make a sound, which one's the tree?" Your blog and this post comes up. Are you sure you didn't write this? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was kind of hoping I did. I'm not sure why but it appeals to me (in either form) for some reason. But I'm pretty sure I didn't. :)

      Delete
  2. I like the part about struggling mightily to pay attention to what your boss is rambling about. I had a boss who rambled once, but then he learned to prattle. You could also get some of Melanie's ear pugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonder what comes after prattling? He-he. Did I say that out loud? Sign me,
      anonymous :)

      Delete
    2. My boss at my old job (Cranky Ex-Boss Lady) used to read me the newspaper--whether I was remotely interested or even pretended to be or not.

      Delete
  3. I'm with Lynda.... I think you wrote it. If not, you should have. Or still can....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would at least like to use the quote as something to jump off from, but I really wanted to know where it was coming from first. I'm weird that way. And several other ways as well. ;)

      Delete
  4. I definitely remember reading that somewhere recently, so it must be a blog we both follow. I would find it hilarious if it was you who wrote it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would find it pretty funny, too. But I'm pretty sure it wasn't me. I want to think it had something to do with illnesses--mental or physical--and diagnosis or how to know which to treat first? It's been haunting me. Obviously.

      Delete
  5. i'm with lynda and sebtown - - you take credit for it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's tempting...but I kind of feel like it's a lost dog and I have to try everything I can to return it to its rightful owner before I get too attached. ;)

      Delete
  6. Was it on a pin on Pinterest? With a forest photo? Seriously. I read that somewhere in the last month or so, too, and now you have me wondering where.
    This happens to me so often, and I fear that I will write something in my blog that I have read somewhere else without giving proper attribution. I'd be mortified, yet I'm bound to do it if I haven't already.
    The other comments are hysterical-- we'll all vouch for you if you take the credit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad other people feel like they've seen it, too. Maybe it will magically click with someone. I haven't ventured on to Pinterest yet so I know I didn't see it there. That doesn't mean it hasn't been there, though. I know exactly what you mean about being afraid of inadvertently using something that's really someone else's. I think it's pretty easy to do especially if you read a lot and write a lot.

      Delete
    2. By the time I got down to Leanne asking if I go to Pinterest, it hit me that a lot of people have been cross-posting Pinterest stuff on Facebook so I wonder if that's where I saw it. Hmmmm...

      Delete
  7. I am pretty sure that was in a comment on a blog post somewhere. Now, if I could only remember where...
    I wouldn't recommend taking credit for it, though. ;) Not that you would.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I checked comments very thoroughly. I did skim through several weeks worth of posts on numerous likely blogs. I am taking next week off work--for reasons completely unrelated to this issue, however, I will definitely be blocking out an afternoon to comb through comments in the right time period. (I'm terrified of accidentally stealing someone else's words; I'd never be able to live with myself if I did it on purpose.)

      Delete
  8. It sounds like something from Pinterest. Do you go there? If I see it I'll let you know....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never been to Pinterest, but it just hit me that a lot of people have been cross-posting Pinterest stuff on Facebook. I wonder if that's where I saw it?! Anyway, if you do come across it, I'd be eternally grateful if you let me know where.

      Delete
  9. I hadn't read it yet...Now I'm going to mull that over to see if I can make heads or tails out of that quote.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a weird quote to be sure, which is why I think it stuck with me. It's one of those things that either means nothing at all or is actually kind of profound.

      Delete