Friday, November 13, 2009

Maybe It's Time For A New Hobby

Drove Fourth Niece home from the skating rink tonight. The car ride was educational--as only car rides with nine-year-olds can be.

She says, "Well there was a lot more drama than usual tonight."

"Oh?"

"I mean, yeah, you can't have skating without drama. There's always drama, but tonight, it was way worse than usual. About half the girls were crying."

"Why?"

"Well some of them got dumped and some of them got ran over*."

"Run over?"

"Yeah, like they fell and people skated over them? But I didn't get dumped or ran over tonight. Lots of boys like to dump girls at skating. I don't know why. I've only ever had one boyfriend..."

"And you dumped him?"

"No. He dumped me. At skating. Well actually he had his friend dump me at skating, but not tonight. It was a long time ago but I still love him. The boyfriend, not the friend who dumped me for him."

"So did you have a good time tonight?"

"Yep. Thanks for the ride."

*Same difference.

3 comments:

  1. Thank goodness my 9yo hasn't taken up skating. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My kids never really got into skating. I told my niece last night that since so much breaking up happens at the skating rink maybe the girls should just boycott it. But really I find it frightening that there are boyfriends and girlfriends at all at 9. Can't all that drama wait a year or five?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oy. (Bangs head against keyboard.)

    ReplyDelete