Friday, April 13, 2012

(Semi-)Random Quote Friday

In a comment on a recent "random quote," Sebtown294 (aka my bloggy friend, JT) asked about how I choose the random quotes I stick up on days when I'm too lazy or disorganized or wrung-out-dish-ragified (if it's not a word, it should be) to put together a real post. It will probably come as no surprise to anyone who's spent much time here, but I have a huge stack of hardbound journals (ten? fifteen? something like that) full of quotes gleaned from a wide variety of sources including books, magazines, blogs, pop music, cartoons, TV shows, my sophomore year high school Spanish teacher.

Though they are billed here as "random," they're really only semi-random, since I fish around in my notebooks looking for something that captures my current mood--or maybe something I hope will change my current mood. So without further rambling ado (which would, I think, partly defeat the purpose of a "Random Quote" post), tonight's random quote, which seemed especially appropriate this week as I continue making my way through Creative Is a Verb.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Mothers shape love and macaroni and sleeplessness and soap into young men and women over the course of many years; is there a greater art, or a more powerful patient creativity than that?"

~~Brian Doyle, "Why Write" in Leaping: Revelations and Ephiphanies

3 comments:

  1. I'm adding this to my own journal of random quotes. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Terrific quote! Do you know Goodreads? If not, this link http://www.goodreads.com/quotes

    will take you to the quotes section of this website. It is first and foremost a book site but the quote collection is fantastic. And you can save your favorites. I believe my "My Quotes" section has well over 800 quotes - I have always been a collector of quotes - thanks for broadening my collection.

    ReplyDelete