Sunday, April 22, 2012

Spiral Notebook Sunday: Friday, February 5, 1993

Keep me home all day with a chest cold, three boys (ages 4 1/2, 3 and 19 months), a dog, a cat and a spiral notebook journal and tonight's entry is one possible outcome.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Friday, February 5, 1993


You know you're the mother of preschoolers when you measure the success or failure of a day by the amount of food you have to pick out of your hair. On the good days, there are only appetizers up there. On the bad days, you might find a nutritionally complete meal up there. (And on the worst days, you use the hairspray before you notice the cauliflower.) So here's a bit of advice from someone who's been there: on the bad days, take heart in the fact that at least you're feeding your kids a well-balanced diet.

Guess what kind of day it's been in the Masked Mom household? Actually--it hasn't been bad. I DID find a stray morsel of semi-moist tuna cat food in my hair, which is what inspired my opening paragraph. Other than that, my only complaint is a nasty chest cold (hack, hack, hack)...Being a mommy with a cold is hard. Not only do you get no sympathy or nurturing, but everything the kids do drives you twice as crazy in half the time as when you're healthy. But even taking that into account, today wasn't bad. I've survived worse and, hey, the cat food could've been canned.

8 comments:

  1. Ah, you're inspired today. And/or you've inspired me today. Thank you for this. I needed a little reminder of all sorts of good things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss them being little, but I don't miss the days when you're sick and trying to care for them. I love being at a place where I have older kids who help out so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I miss little ones sometimes too--having Seventh Niece around helps me out with that, though. It's like a preview of grandchildren--I get to have fun with her and, after a little while, she goes home. :)

      Delete
  3. I really liked the little kid days! My best mothering was probably done during those first five years.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sadly, I can't blame the monkeys for the food in my hair.

    ReplyDelete