Saturday, November 04, 2006

A Cop-Out? (Already?!)

I came, I saw, I posted (sort of).

I'll try harder tomorrow.

(Even though the rules don't mention a minimum word count, I do feel a certain pressure to produce more than just a line or two. It kind of reminds me of those essay questions on tests in high school, where you felt you had to fill a certain amount of space (or worse, the teacher had actually printed ten or fifteen lines you felt compelled to fill). In my humanities class senior year, this resulted in one of the best opening lines ever--so good the teacher read it out loud (laughing hysterically the entire time) to the class & I have quoted it for years as an example of blatantly obvious bullshit*. The question was something like "Explain the basis of classical Greek architecture." Allen H's reply began: "The basis of the basis is based on the basis that...")

*The reasons I might need to have an example of blatant bullshit on hand are numerous and varied and something we can use to fill space some other time.

2 comments:

  1. Hahah. I might save this to have a cop out of my own. I'll just cut and paste what you wrote here into my own blog, and link to you. Hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's just as bad as some of the BS I have gotten teaching college psychology classes. My favorite was one involving an entire page of restating the question, with the closing line, "that unfortunately I don't know the answer to."

    ReplyDelete